Sunday, January 3, 2010

Bitter Is The New Sunday

As if working on a Sunday wasn't enough to piss me off, I was up all last night coughing, and woke up this morning sounding like a frog had taken over my voice box. I could tell already, this was going to be one of those days when my customers looked at me with the fear of swine flu in their eyes.

I began my day at work with a line of bored restaurant waiters (CPK should not open at 11 am) across the way staring at me in confusion as I was forced to sprawl across the mall floor in an attempt figure out why the door to my store would not stay open. Normally, this is not a show, but today, a simple task proved impossible and defeated me.

You're probably thinking, "I would've stared at you too, loser." But as it turns out, the doors really are broken! I waved to those waiters a few minutes later as they watched this time, with more understanding, as the maintenance guy also struggled and failed with the same task. Door got propped open with a block of wood instead.


Next escapade. My convulsive shivering led me to discover that the heat in the store was also broken. Convenient on one of the coldest days so far, the temperature stayed stagnant at 59 degrees all day. Not ok, unless Aveda plans to incorporate a Snuggie (maybe considerable, if it's black?) into our dress code.

Woefully, I picked up the phone to schedule maintenance on both door and thermostat when I found...no dial tone. Umm, really? Am I on candid camera? If you know anything about retail, you know that no dial tone means no credit card machines. No credit card machines means I got to ("I got to" is a euphemism for, "I was forced to") resort back to the olden days and transact like it was 1989...Remember this thing?


Now that I've been home a few hours, I feel better. A glass of wine (or 2.5 - stop judging me, Mom) to calm my nerves, a few chapters of my book read, a new episode of Desperate Housewives watched, homemade chicken soup eaten, and another successful day of blogging down, I'm going to go dream of days when I sounded like a girl and lived in a world that was warmer and more technologically advanced than the one I experienced today. Sweet dreams.

2 comments:

  1. Ha! Hilariously bad day at work. But funny post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What, no matzo ball soup? I thought that was cure. Speaking of that, while on my spending freeze how about you make some and I'll come over for dinner. I can swipe a couple of beers from my fridge. Overall sounds like a classy night to me.

    ReplyDelete