Saturday, January 9, 2010

Devil in a White Dress

I've been around the bridesmaid block a time or two. Or seven. And during my reign, I've shopped for quite a few wedding dresses in quite a few different types of stores. Betsy Robinson and Gamberdella's - bridal boutiques in Pikesville and Towson, and Stella's and Nico's - better bargain bridal boutique-ish wannabees located in downtown Baltimore.

Today though, I went to David's Bridal...

Imagine hundreds (not exaggerating) of crazy women, recently possessed by diamond rings, scrambling around a store as if there weren't 10,423 dresses (I think that's where I lost count) to choose from. Every person working there is built like a linebacker, just so they can pummel through the crowd of maniacs near the dressing rooms so that they can quickly gown their assigned brides.

For every bride, there are 2-5 people who accompanied her on this monumental outing, designated to "ooh" and "aah" over her in every dress she tries on...even the one's that should never have made it past the designer's sketch pad.

Lucky for my bride, she chose two people who would be honest with her from the start. Two dresses barely made it out of the dressing room, and if she began to like a dress we hated, we told her. That's what you're supposed to do. Right? I mean, if I ever end up on the other side of this bargain, I would want my people to tell me when I'm more resembling Shrek than Cinderella.

I've said some very bad things about David's Bridal in the past. And after today, 98% of those things haven proven true. One percent leftover is the fact that they actually sell some really nice dresses, some just $99, and the other 1% is the beautiful, $1000 dress that we found on sale for just $299, that just might have been made with my friend in mind.

Unfortunately though, today was the last time I set foot in that hole. Although a fun day with a happy ending, I think after nearly being run over by an attendant with a dress cart, I don't think I'll be visiting this anti-customer service bridal rave again.

Sorry Mom & Dad, but if this girl ever gets hitched, it ain't gonna be in a $99 dress from DB.

No comments:

Post a Comment