Sunday, January 24, 2010

Extreme Makeover: Me Addition

After trying to get my dollars in order, I have confirmed that my life = unaffordable.

Conveniently, Comcast phone and Verizon Fios TV are not available to me, so my $99 dream deal must remain a dream. I do, however, get to continue the nightmare of paying 2 separate bills whose total amounts to more than double my fantasy.

I called my credit card companies. And after choosing the two that had the best of the worst percentages, my mom informed me that closing my other cards negatively effects my credit score. So, they stay, solely for the purpose of one tank of gas a month to be charged on them so they can be paid in full at the end of the month. Per my credit research, this is a good idea. Apparently.

I did my budget. Not going to discuss. But I will say that it resulted in a weekend of near zero spending. With the exception of Friday night (I have to have SOME fun, right?) I had a free Saturday night dinner with my family followed by a free Redbox viewing of Cape Fear at my aunt's house. This followed by Sunday morning at my parent's house and then an afternoon of laundry. Also free.

Ever have one of those weeks? Well, I just did. Although my financial makeover is for the best, I believe it has aged me 10 (or 30) years. The forehead wrinkle discovery was rough. But today, I found gray. Two gray hairs that were so prominently placed, I looked like Stacy London. But not anymore, as they have been carefully removed and flushed, along with the days of dyeing my hair for fun.

In the last few days, I've lost a lot of sleep over fine lines, money, and tonight I'm sure, because of my unwanted silver streak. So now, I have bags under my eyes too. Super.

But it's time to get my mind off the tough road I have ahead for my week 3 resolution, and conveniently so, its time for week 4. Community outreach.

I'm embarrassed to say that I can probably count my volunteer efforts on my fingers. One year on Thanksgiving, when I was around 14 years old, my parents and I volunteered at a soup kitchen. It was so long ago, though, that the only part I remember is that when we came out, our car had been stolen. Most recently would probably be my philanthropic attempts to raise money for the National Kidney Foundation through my short-lived sorority sisterhood. And that was not yesterday.

But that's about to change. After watching tonight's teary episode of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition (you may stop judging me now), I'm feeling inspired to help others.

It's obvious that I need to do something that makes me feel like I did something worthy of a full nights sleep. This week, I'm going to do some digging and contact organizations that need volunteers. I'll let you know what I find out! After all, Ty Murray says I, too, can make a difference...so let the change begin!

5 comments:

  1. What issue would you want to work on? If you lived in DC, I would make you tutor people. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. maybe this place?
    http://www.mysistersplacedc.org/volunteer.html

    sorry i am too braindead tonight to make my link link.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look no further... You can do the Polar Bear Plunge with me on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You volunteered just weeks ago! You spent your time looking through all of your toiletries and brought me a huge bag full of lovely things which were given to a family from Nepal. When the four girls (ages 6-14) opened them, they just stared at all of these brightly colored bottles. Finally, the oldest girl looked up from the bag as my sister was explaining what everything was and said, "THANK YOU!" Don't sell yourself short doggie! You help out more than you know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't kid yourself. The dollars you raised for the sorority did not go to save anybody's kidneys; they bought beer.

    ReplyDelete