Monday, January 4, 2010

Cup of Joke

When you say coffee I say Starbucks. Some say it's too expensive. Some say its too strong. I say, have you had a Pumpkin Spice Latte? I have no problem spending $5 on a drink when a drink truly has the ability to change the course of my day. Yum.

Today, though, I stopped at Teavana. This turned out to be a very bad idea. There I was, heading to my car, when the misery of my cold and cough struck at the very same moment that the apron-clad employee stood, luring me over with a tray of hot tea samples.

If you're not familiar, Teavana is to tea what Saks is to fashion. They sell tons of tea and tea paraphernalia. White, black, green, oolong, rooibus....tea steepers, tea pots, and "perfect tea makers"...did you know there were so many? The store is dangerous because the people who work there are trained on being tricky. They get right into your head and make you feel like tea will change your world. I think it might be a cult.

I left with a cup of some kind of "get rid of my cold" concoction and $25 of bulk tea (just tea!) that I was somehow convinced I needed to take home with me by the devil behind the counter. I am literally having buyer's remorse over tea leaves. At least I got a 10% mall discount? As if being sick hadn't already stolen enough; my sleep, my voice, and my ability to not look like I've been run over by a tractor trailer, now its stolen my money too?!

Without a mall discount, though, I will still continue to be supportive and far from regretful about the hundreds of dollars I give to Starbucks each year. Gingerbread Latte anyone? Worth every penny, every time.

And, I'll pay extra for soy.

5 comments:

  1. it's hard for me to get jazzed up about tea, but maybe, just MAYBE it will actually help you kick that cold a little faster and it will all be worth it. besides, there are much stupider things to drop $25 on than a delicious homeopathic remedy. like a couple of these, for example. tea is much better than those! see? so don't go beating yourself up about it. enjoy your holistic purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll gladly spend the 5 bucks on my latte, but the extra 40 cents for the soy drives me insane. As a lactose intolerant, I feel discriminated against. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So when you say "when you say coffee I say Starbucks", you really mean to say "when you say Pumpkin Spice Latte I say Starbucks", right? Clearly you've never had Starbucks coffee because it's crap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. congratulations to jesse for writing the most amazing sentence ever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh yes, he's a clever one, isn't he? Unfortunately for him, I happen to like Pike Place blend very much. The latte is just a delightful treat!

    ReplyDelete