Monday, February 15, 2010

Oh Happy Day

I'm trying to figure out what on earth happens to people on Valentine's Day. I mean, sure, who doesn't like balloons, chocolates and flowers? But there's something else in the air on this day, and I'm pretty sure it's drugs. I really tried, but I simply cannot fathom how people are so much more in love on this day than any/every other day.

I walked into dinner tonight, choosingly detached from the 4-letter word and all things associated. But immediately, I noticed that I had walked into my very own nightmare. It wasn't just the dimmed lighting and the heart decor that made me want to purposely choke on my Orbit gum. It also wasn't just the obvious crowd of couples having "romantic" dinners together to celebrate this Hallmark holiday. What it was, though, was the abnormality that everyone looked extremely, blissfully, gag me with a spatula head-over-heels in love.

I'm not being bitter that I'm alone. Really, I'm not! I'm being dead serious when I say that the crowd more resembled a weird zombie-romance movie cast than actual real life humans.

I turned to my left and 3-5 couples were gazing adoringly into each others eyes. To the right, 3-5 more. Behind me, they had moved on from gazing to making themselves right at home on the couches, intertwined and nearly X-rated. (Which, by the way, I hate. Major pet peeve of mine is people who occupy couches in public the same way they would in their own living rooms. Go home.)

Normally, you find couples everywhere you go that look like they'd rather be doing anything else. Staring each other down like they want to kill the other, or arguing, or just, not speaking because they no longer care enough to. But nope, not on Valentine's Day. On Valentine's Day, love, or floating ecstasy particles, is in the air.

So during dinner I may have made a few teeny tiny, minuscule even, negative judgmental comments about the "L" word. I followed these comments with my take on getting back into dating. My date (fine, friend) told me, pretty much, that my attitude would likely not help me with my singledom. Shocking, I know.

So, I don't know that I can necessarily say I'm jumping in head first to this, but I can say that my newest 2010 life altering change is to...ow...hurts to say it...not be (so) opposed to dating... And let me reiterate that this is going to be a difficult one considering that just a few hours ago, my thoughts were so anti that I'd rather do my laundry.

2 comments:

  1. I don't have a problem with that one. Keep up with the laundry though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you had been out where we had V-day dinner, you would have pleasantly taken note that we were not part of the gross overly in love couple variety; instead we eavesdropped on our neighbors' lovey conversation, and complained that their waiter gave them truffles with the check and we got nothin.

    ReplyDelete