Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Another 52 Weeks To A Better Me

As if in typical me fashion, I just wrote an entire blog about my journey of 2010 and commitment to the journey of 2011, and, while typing the very last sentence, deleted the entire thing.  So, now I'm annoyed, but am fighting the urge to step away from the computer, and am devoting the next 20 minutes to rewriting the entire damn thing, even though its midnight and I should be sleeping. 

So.  Pretending the above never happened, here goes...

In December of 2009, I decided to take a 52 week journey to a better me.  I decided to resolution weekly, finding faults in myself and devoting 7 days to changing each issue.  I quickly realized 2 things.  One, 52 things to change is a lot, even for someone as far from perfect as I am.  And 2, most things I did need to change would take a lot more time than 7 days. 

That said, I feel improved on the resolutions I did make.  Write more.  Well, I posted 34 more blog entries than I did in 2009.  Success.  Read more.  After knocking out Jen Lancaster's "Bright Lights, Big Ass," I continued on to read 7 more books this year, thanks to my borrowed/permanently stolen mother's Kindle.  Stop cancelling plans so much.  Check!  Manage money better, take more pictures...done and kinda done!  I at least have some pics to prove my existence in 2010. 

I also battled some other demons.  For the first time in 5 years, I went on a few dates.  Unsuccessful, but I went.  I even rejoined match.com, which, well, no comment.  Plus, on the pages that I'm not cursing at or criticizing, my latest book read, "Marry Him: The Case for Settling for Mr. Good Enough" by Lori Gottlieb, is teaching me to fight my natural urge to not want to meet new people, and, not give up on people with bad habits too quickly.  For example, I now see why not pursuing someone with an annoying laugh or small hands is unacceptable and not a good reason to reject.  And yes, I'm still single, but I'm much closer to not being in the dating dark than I was this time last year.  WWLGD has been my new dating life slogan..."What would Lori Gottlieb do?" 

A great end and a greater beginning...in accordance with my resolution of "go places, do things" New Years Eve was so much fun, and day 1 of 2011 even better, at, what my friends and I refer to as "game of life," the Winter Classic, where the Caps beat the Pens 3-1! 

So no, 52 weeks to a better me didn't go quite as I'd hoped.  But, nothing happens overnight (or in my case, 365 nights) right?  So, here we go again.  There will not be 52 resolutions this time, but there will be changes with realistic goals.  My first task?   A measurable one.  In 2011, I will double the amount of posts from 2010.  Goal: 72+. 

Happy late New Year friends, family, and all of the secret readers I pretend to have.  And, cheers to (another) 52 weeks to a better me!  Hope you'll stick around, and, if I haven't been clear...post comments to prove that you did! 

XOXO,
Gossip Girl  (Fine.  Shauna.)

4 comments:

  1. S...I am commenting because I LOVE you blog and I love that this year's resolution is to post more, because I enjoy reading and I agree we need more posts as your "pretend" readers. Happy New Year :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. rad. good luck! looking forward to those 72+.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loooove the B! Looking forward to 2011, happy new year! Also, I HAVE noticed a lot more pics on FB lately!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excited for more blogs. I love these. And if you share on fb, I will share your link.

    ReplyDelete